[X4U] Audio recording [Esoteric problem]

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Jul 4 10:15:30 PDT 2004

>Unless you're bound to OS 8 by an esoteric piece of professional
>software, hardware or both, I'd think that there would be a lot of
>advantages to moving to OS 9.x, in terms of both available and
>affordable hardware/software that would not create the problem you
>describe.

It's mainly the software and the fact that the license floppy is no
longer readable :^( that keeps me on Mac OS 8 (though this could be
solved by upgrading to a newer version of Bias Peak).  Also, part of
it is the simple fact that everything works.  It's a dedicated
machine, and the old story if it works, don't mess with it.

Ideally I want to move the Audio off of the 8500/180 onto my G4/450
or G5 2x2, but there are more important upgrades that I still need to
do after moving to Mac OS X and my G5.

>>The problem is the Audio Software, Audio card, networking
>>software and Network card all fight for system resources.
>
>Network card? are you ditching the on board 10baseT in favor of 100baseT?

I've got a Darla24, 100Mbit Ethernet and UW-SCSI cards stuffed in
there (and am still using the onboard Narrow SCSI controller).

		Zane