[X4U] DVD Burner

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Mon Nov 1 08:36:18 PST 2004

Hi Stoller!

Stroller wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2004, at 1:28 am, Mike Strawn wrote:
>
>> I recently purchased a Pioneer DVD-R 105 drive from Other World
>> Computing to burn DVD’s on my G3. My problem is that I’ve wasted 20
>> disks with only 2 successful burns. The drive appears to function
>> properly, but at various points in the process I get a “Sense key
>> error” and the burn fails. I’m running Panther (10.3.5) using
>> XpostFacto on a G3 that has a G4 500 Mhz ZIF chip...

> I'd want to try the drive in another machine if I were you.
>
> My initial reaction was that if you've tried the drive with different
> software & different media then you must've received a duff drive, but
> then I noticed your comments about XpostFacto. Since this is an older
> Mac it's quite conceivable that it's not capable of shoving data at the
> drive fast enough,

What is it that does the "shoving?"
You put the DVD disc in a reader/writer, and the drive does what it
needs to read or write. Self-contained unit, no?
How does any given CPU change any of that?
Does his CPU's bus (any of them) speed enter into any of this?
The Pioneer unit he's using accepts (?) data to support a sustained
write speed of 11 MB/sec., which they says is "8X" for DVD.
Where's the potential bottle neck?
MUST it be presented at 11 MB/sec. in order to work? I thought that's
the drive's business.

The instructions say that Pioneer drive will write to a DVD-R at 1X, 2X,
4X, 6X or 8X. Seems there's no bottle-neck there.

Just trying to understand why the CPU you use matters. I mean, even the
G3 uses one of the later processors and is a capable machine.

>...so you may be out of luck. Clearly if you got such
> poor results with the same drive in a newer machine which is actually
> supported by OS X, then you would have good grounds for returning it to
> the supplier.
>
> Stroller.

I believe the G3 will work well with OSX.
I have a copy of Apple's OSX Panther just waiting to be installed over
my Jaguar OS.
On the outside of the box it says it requires a G3, G4 or G5 processor
with built-in USB and 128 MB RAM.
Now, that "built-in" USB requirement may be the kicker, as I don't think
any of the G3s had it from the factory, but I can't see where lack of
USB port is a stopping point, from the standpoint of using an operating
system...

Just putting out what I think I know, to elicit what I don't know.
Knowledge search!  <g>

keith whaley