[X4U] Ethernet out??

E.F.Maurer efm_lists at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 07:38:36 PST 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 10:10, Paul Moortgat wrote:
> Eric,
>
> This G4 has worked for years.  I don't see why I should have a router.
> The hub the G4 is connected to has also a G3.  I switched ports on this
> hub.  The G3 is still connected.  The G4 never.  My isp is Telenet in
> Belgium.

The router was just a work around, that comcast found. It just illustrates
that it's not a hardware issue with your mac it has to do with the
interoperability of mac's and cisco routers that the large isp's use on their
back end.

Is telenet a highspeed(cable or dsl) provider?

The key part was the self assigned ip address, go into network preferences,
show network status and it will say it's a self assigned ip.

What ip does your g3 have? Most likely it will be a non-169 ip that can be
routed.

You said you've never connected with the g4, do you know how many ip address
you get from telenet?

In my example comcast gives you one ip and you can lease a second if
necessary, or get a router, which gives out internal ip's to the macs.

Try shutting down your macs, unplugging your modem, wait thirty seconds, plug
the modem back in and wait for the lights to come back on(cable, internet
light). Bypass the hub and plug the ethernet cable from the mac into your
modem, most likely you'll get a similar ip to the one the g3 had.