[X4U] How can we compete?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Nov 2 11:20:12 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 01:49:18PM -0500, Richard Gilmore wrote:
:
: To my mind because PCs are more poorly designed and the various inherent
: hardware/software problems and big time because they are the dominant
: platform most people *expect* to have problems and *expect* them to be
: complicated and hard to use. I don't know how many times I've heard the
: subtle put down that Macs are too "easy & simple" to use meaning they're
: only for simpletons. I'm going off on a tangent here but I think people feel
: their intelligence is insulted when you suggest that a Mac would be simpler
: to use.

What I find strange is that if both Windoze boxes and Macs provide
roughly the same set of features to the end-user, why do people choose
the machine that is *harder* to use?  Do they honestly believe that
mastering a more difficult machine makes them a superior person?  Or
does it just make them a more difficult person?  :-)

: You can't win for losing people say  Macs are either not compatible
: with PCs and therefore with the rest of the world even though they might be
: better or they don't want to buy one because they are afraid of looking
: stupid. The mindset is computers are supposed to be difficult to use and
: when they go wrong it's just par for the course.

Most people don't think about Macs because they *incorrectly* believe
that it doesn't running M$ Office.  When I inform them that M$ Word was
a Mac-first product, has been around for almost 20 years since the birth
of the Mac, and has always been available for the Mac, many people are
open-minded enough to be considerate of Macs.  Some people still moan
and groan, even though I've taken away their #1 complaint.  So at this
point, they are no longer interested in having a open dicussion.  I stop
talking to them because it because I'm not getting paid to destroy them.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/