[X4U] Re: How can we compete?

Chris Malanga cmalanga at bgsualumni.com
Tue Nov 2 11:49:23 PST 2004

I understand your analogy... However...

This seems like a pretty good Windows system... If there is such a thing :-)
It certainly does some things that Macs cannot do without extra third-party
hardware.  It performs a function which MANY Mac users (myself included)...
Manage the digital hub (which *does* include TV no matter what Steve Jobs
says).

My point is not that I think this is *better* than a Mac.  I'm sure it's
not.  My point is, if I'm trying to convince a person to SWITCH to the Mac,
deals like this make it very difficult.

Aside from the fact that a person has to make a real investment in the
platform with new software, training, etc., this computer has features
standard that you cannot get without paying extra and/or going third party
and/or just aren't available at all on the Mac.  And for a LOT less than you
would pay for a comparable Mac bundle.  I paid over $200 more (education
price) for my eMac with SuperDrive and I still would need to add hundreds of
dollars worth of accessories to come close to the specs on this PC.

I'm just saying that I think Apple needs to do some stuff to market to the
"other" 95%... Whether it's a low-cost Mac, a digital set-top box, or
something else.  Or maybe, as Judi suggested, Macs just aren't the main
priority of Apple anymore.

I don't know what the answer is.  All I know is that any chance for me to
convert this person to the Mac platform was thrown out the window with this
deal.

Chris Malanga
cmalanga at bgsualumni.com