[X4U] Re: How can we compete?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Nov 2 18:15:49 PST 2004

Chris Malanga said:

>Aside from the fact that a person has to make a real investment in the
>platform with new software, training, etc., this computer has features
>standard that you cannot get without paying extra and/or going third party
>and/or just aren't available at all on the Mac.  And for a LOT less than you
>would pay for a comparable Mac bundle.  I paid over $200 more (education
>price) for my eMac with SuperDrive and I still would need to add hundreds of
>dollars worth of accessories to come close to the specs on this PC.

This reminds me of when I purchased my first non-OEM car stereo.  I
looked at Sony, Denon, Concord, etc., and then I noticed that Sanyo made
a product that was less more, yet had more features, and they claimed
that their product was just as good as anyone else's.

I bought the Sanyo, and it turned out to be a piece of junk.  The
reception was terrible, and not all of the features actually worked.  It
broke after about a year.

Back to computers.  I don't use a Windows machine myself, but my wife has
one, and I am often her tech support person.  Frankly, I don't see how
anyone familiar with both Windows and Mac OS can say that the Mac is
easier these days.  The two are somewhat different, but neither is
better.  Both are easier to figure out in some ways, and harder in others.

The Mac's advantages these days are slim, but notable.  The Mac OS,
properly sorted out, doesn't crash.  There are currently no viruses in
the wild that infect OS X, while there are literally over 100,000 that
infect Windows.  When there are technical problems with the OS, the
Macintosh is somewhat easier to troubleshoot and fix.  A big advantage
for the Mac is that each individual example is tested between four to
nine times as it comes down the assemblyline, and they are simply better
made.  Macs also tend to have superior backwards compatibility with old
software.

But Window's boxes have some advantages also.  There is a lot of
competition, for one.  So a purchaser is free to trade off
price/features/quality/support in a mix that suits them.  There is simply
a lot more software for Windows.  It's true that the Mac has a lot of
software of its own, and that it is mostly quality software, but Windows
has more essoteric software for special needs.  Windows computers are
cheaper and easier to upgrade.  And, of course, there are games out the
wazoo for Windows. (Though this doesn't seem that important to me.  I
just purchased a Nintendo Game Cube for my kids for only $100, and the
quality and availability of games is excellent, without tying up my
computer.)

>I'm just saying that I think Apple needs to do some stuff to market to the
>"other" 95%...

Apple has made the decision not to pursue the low-end of the market, and
to not sell low-quality Macs.  I assume that they don't want to cheapen
their reputation for quality in much the same way BMW and Mercedes don't
sell competitors for the Chevy Cavalier.  (Or, for that matter, any of
Chevy's cars.)

There is the argument to be made that if Apple sold a loss leader for
about $500 that Apple would be gaining market share, and that those
purchasers would later move up to more expensive Macs. The problem with
this theory is that Apple already tried competing at the low end of the
market once with the Mac LC. (LC standing ostensibly for Low Cost.  Most
LC's cost well over $1,000, but that was the low end of the market at the
time.) That experiment really didn't work.

http://www.lowendmac.com/lc/lc.shtml

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html