[X4U] iSight Mac to webcam PC

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Nov 6 19:24:20 PST 2004

It' doesn't, that I know of.  But iChatAV does, of course.  And if the
PC is running Windows XP and AIM 5.5, you can communicate between the
two.

My brother-in-law in Rotterdam  has that setup...but of course has
never gotten it to work.  He's too paranoid to change any of the
built-in settings for the firewall on WinXP to open the right ports for
video or audio.  In the past, he has literally spent DAYS wiping and
re-installing, or virus checking, his hard drive to get rid of spyware
or virii.

We certainly talk about it here, but I seriously think that this is the
ONE HUGE advantage of OSX at this time (not that I believe that there
CAN'T be similar threats, just less likely).

Off topic, but does anyone know of a program on Windows that would
allow you to enter, say, a range of ports, and then have the program
tell you (in a simple way) whether those ports are open for traffic?
I'm surprised that AIM (or iChat AV, for that matter) doesn't simply
put up a message like "I see that you're trying to do
videoconferencing; sorry, but you'll have to open ports 5000 to 5100
for that to work" or some other message.

Michael