[X4U] iSight Mac to webcam PC

Alric J. Lam Alric.J.Lam at Dartmouth.EDU
Sun Nov 7 13:33:44 PST 2004

If he is not behind a router, I believe tools on www.dslreports.com will do a port scan of the computer that requests it, and it can tell you what ports are open.

If he isn't running a router, he should consider getting one, if anything to use its built in firewalls (NAT and SPI usually) to add another level of protection. It does add another layer of complexity when having to open ports tho.

--- You wrote:
Off topic, but does anyone know of a program on Windows that would allow you to enter, say, a range of ports, and then have the program tell you (in a simple way) whether those ports are open for traffic?  I'm surprised that AIM (or iChat AV, for that matter) doesn't simply put up a message like "I see that you're trying to do videoconferencing; sorry, but you'll have to open ports 5000 to 5100 for that to work" or some other message.

Michael
--- end of quote ---