[X4U] Multiple Users-Panther

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Wed Nov 10 06:08:07 PST 2004

on 04/11/06 21:22, B Gardner at mailmehere at mindspring.com wrote:

> I need some information and details on setting up multiple users in
> Panther. Just got an iMac G5 and trying to set it up for my family.
> Keep getting sporadic dialogs that some application is not available to
> one or the other daughters. I gave them "no limits" setting but they
> are still seeing the "does not have permissions or privileges" dialogs.
> And yes, I repaired permissions.

I don't know if you ever got an answer on this, but I'd say there is
something wrong with the installation of the application(s) that they are
having trouble with.  Either the application package(s) itself, or some
support component, was probably installed with improper owner, group, and/or
privileges.  If this mistake was by design, "repair permissions" will just
set it it back to the incorrect design.  Indeed, some applications'
installers are shipped with incorrect configuration.

In general, system-wide applications and their components should be
installed with:

Owner=root or system
Group=admin

Privileges: Owner or admin can read and write, others can read.  This is the
octal number "775".

If this is happening with a lot of famous applications known to have good
installers, maybe it's because you copied them from the /Applications folder
of another computer.  This often results in incorrect permissions, and I
don't think "repair permissions" because if the installer was never run
there would be no "receipt" in the Library that could be used to determine
the correct permissions.

You'll probably need to figure out which application(s) are causing trouble
and solve their permissions problems individually.