[X4U] Multiple Users-Panther

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Thu Nov 11 19:54:27 PST 2004

on 04/11/11 09:46, Byron Gardner at safetyhomeoffice at mindspring.com wrote:

> I have been installing all apps under my login which I am the
> administrator. Have not move over anything, I did not think was a good
> thing to do.
>
> I have installed HP scanner software under my login as the admin. When
> I switch over to another account, a dialog window comes up saying it
> can't find scanner preferences.

Properly designed applications allow each user their own preferences.  When
opening an application for the first time on an account, most applications
simply use their built-in default preferences, and do not complain about it.

Does the software quit after this dialog, or can you continue?  If it quits,
I'd try reinstalling it, and if that does not work, complain to HP or google
around for some advice on this particular HP software.

> Do need to install the scanner software
> for every user?

I don't have an HP scanner, so I can't say for sure.

Some software gives you the option of installing it "only for you" or "for
all users".  This is rare.  The default installation on most all software is
for all users.