[X4U] "Shutdown" when other Users are active won't work

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 14 23:39:43 PST 2004

On 11/14/04 10:20 PM, "Michael Elliott" <michaelelliott at mac.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I want to shut down the computer, and don't want to go to the
> trouble of logging into my wife's account, logging her out, re-logging
> into my own account, and then shutting down.
>
> OSX provides a mechanism--supposedly--for this:  if I select Shut Down
> from the Apple menu, it warns me that the other user is logged in, and
> that I need to enter an administrator's name and password, and that all
> data will be lost in any opened & unsaved documents.  I do this....and
> nothing happens.  I've waited many minutes before, even left my
> computer for a while, and when I return...nothing.
>
> Is anyone ELSE able to make this work?

I do quite often - I've never had a problem. You've probably got a program
running in the other account that is stuck, preventing the shutdown. Are you
sure you click the Shutdown button? It is not the default button; I've
gotten burned by this many times. Don't press Return - you have to click the
button.

Kirk

                Co-author of: Take Control of Panther Vol. 1
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France