[X4U] sound output

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Mon Nov 15 14:00:11 PST 2004

On Nov 13, 2004, at 10:09, Gail Grainger wrote:
>  About 7-10 days ago--around
> when 10.3.6 came out, only my left speaker would work, now it is only
> out
> of the computer.

Hi Gail,

Have you tried repairing permissions on your computer?  Also, have you
tried logging in as another user on the same computer to see if they,
too, experience the same sound problem?  These are always my first two
troubleshooting steps, as they help me figure out if the problem is
with my account or if I need to start looking at the OS or hardware.

Do the speakers plug into the same jack that headphones would?  [I'm
trying to picture the dual 867's backside, and think that there are two
audio-type jacks, one for headphones/speakers and one for the Apple
proprietary speaker pod thingies (?).]  If so, have you tried using a
pair of headphones to see if they produce any sound?

If it turns out to be the audio out is dead, perhaps you can get a
third-party card rather than repair?  I don't know if this is feasible
or even chearper, but just another option to consider.

Gretchen