[X4U] OT: Mac OS9.X conundrums

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Nov 15 15:15:06 PST 2004

Do you have an external Firewire drive (or better still, a separate
partition) that you can install a fresh OS9 onto? It's possible that the
USB driver extensions are either corrupt or wrong. If everything performs
fine under the new OS then you can try dragging Extensions over to the old
OS9 folder to see if you can get it running again.

BTW, are there any special drivers to get the USB hub in the monitor
working? Some hubs require drivers/extensions to work. If so then this is
the first place I'd start.

Regarding the Zip drive, I've had internal Zip drives that also require
re-installing the drivers after an upgrade to get them to work. If it is
also a USB drive then it may be coming back to the USB hub again.

Cheers,

Cojcolds

"Jesse Leo" <jleo at projectsupport.com>

Hello,

A bit OT here, but if you have a minute...

It all started when a client's client indicated they wanted to install a
CD burner on their G4 400 running Mac OS 9.0.4.

I ordered a USB Iomega burner, but for the life of me couldn't get the
damn thing to work, and neither could Iomega support. As part of the
troubleshooting process I brought them up to Mac OS 9.2.2 and the G4
firmware upgrade.

The Iomega Zip drive is being sent back and we're going to try a LaCie
or something. But since then a host of other issues has arisen:

1) They have a pretty complicated chain of USB devices (printer,
scanner, etc) chained off a USB hub which is part of the monitor. This
setup worked fine before, but now with the USB devices plugged in at
bootup the screen goes white and there are some strange USB errors.
Unplugging all USB devices during boot is a workaround.

2) They claim the internal ZIP drive no longer works (I didn't touch
this or test it).

Needless to say they are TICKED, since their Mac is now worse off than
before. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jesse