[X4U] iChat strangeness - reboot sorted it.

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon Nov 22 15:44:27 PST 2004

Ta muchly to all those who offered advice.

In the end it seemed that a simple restart was all it needed to get it
working again.... strangely enough.

But I'll keep the below in mind.

Cheers all,

Cojcolds

Stroller <MacMonster at myrealbox.com>

On Nov 17, 2004, at 5:57 am, Brett Conlon wrote:

> So far I have 3 entries. This morning I had 2 entries (yes, I make
> friends fast, eh ;-) and they were both greyed out - meaning they are
> off-line right?

Right.

> I then entered my newest buddy in the list and he too was grey. The
> only way I could initiate a convo was to use the "New Chat With
> Person" option in the File menu and enter their name. I then had a
> chat session with the new buddy - still showing grey in the list.

If you know he's online but not showing as such then the chances are
that he's "hidden" or "invisible" in some way. Most instant messaging
services give the option to go online & yet not show as such - if your
friend is using iChatAV he can go to Preferences > Privacy Options and
use options like "allow people in my buddy list" or "allow specific
people" to see his real availability.

> I'm using an AOL AIM screenname, does that matter?

I don't believe that makes any difference.

Stroller.