[X4U] thread organization

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Oct 4 08:44:34 PDT 2004

There are two headers that are used by some, but not all, mail agents that are designed to support threads independently of subject text.

I am replying to a message which contained these in the header block:
>	<35D36370-1612-11D9-A73F-000D93361A8A at tiscali.it>

My message will contain some others when you get it. They will probably be suppressed by your mail client unless you poke the right buttons.

If I were to change the subject it would still refer to the message I "replied" to.

A problem occurs when I, as a user, want to start a new thread and I take the easy way and choose "reply to" some unrelated message with the full intent to start a new thread. I assume changing the subject is sufficient but it's not. I should, as a responsible lister, make a new message from scratch and insert the mailing list posting address.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--