[X4U] thread organization

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 4 09:38:43 PDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 2:24 pm, Jim Freeman wrote:

> Has Mail changed the way it organizes by thread?

If so, it has only been changed to thread correctly.

> In following the discussion about "iDisk size problem" I noticed that
> "iTunes problem" was threaded together.

This is because Colin / eleventhvolume posted his "original' message in
the "iTunes problem" thread by clicking on a post in a different thread
& clicking reply-to, before editing the subject.

This is evidenced by these lines in the headers of his post:

So Mail.app is threading the "iTunes Problem" thread with the "iDisk
size problem" posts because it IS a reply to the iDisk Problem thread
(to Michael Elliott's post of Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:07:46 -0500, to be
precise).

On some mailing lists it's considered *very* bad for to start a new
thread by replying to an old one - the two topics would not have
threaded together had Colin chosen to "send a new message" to
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>.

> I can see this being useful to group messages with slight variation in
> subject heading, but it clearly didn't work in this case.

That's exactly why this feature is in place. One might say it worked
rather TOO well.   ;)

Stroller.