[X4U] Uinstalling apps

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Oct 4 10:00:58 PDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 4:40 pm, Axxll wrote:

> I consider myself a newbie , a switcher from windows, happy with my
> PB4.  I have one silly question. I noticed that my MSN is not acting
> normal such as the colorful disk keeps rolling and i have to
> Force-Quit it...
> Now, How do i un install it and  re install a fresh copy ??
> thanks for the help.

Assuming you have a shortcut to the application in your dock,
right-click it (or ctrl-click it, if you have a sub-optimal mouse) and
choose "Show In Finder". In the Finder window that opens the
application itself is selected - if it's still running, quit it or
force-quit it - then just drag & drop the app to the trash. That's it
uninstalled.

Weird innit..? This works because on Mac OS X all the libraries &
resources & stuff that an application needs are stored within its own
.app bundle - the icon you dragged to the trash is in fact a folder
hierarchy, and if you right click it you can see the "Contents" - so it
doesn't install conflicting .dlls all over the place the way Windows
applications do.

Uninstalling an application in this way does leave behind all users'
preferences, so you might want to delete those, too. They're in
~/Library/Preferences - in this case prolly
com.microsoft.Messenger.plist

HTH,

Stroller.