[X4U] Needing help with SAPM relief

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Tue Oct 5 13:15:18 PDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 21:18, lists3-200402 wrote:
> if you want long term usability...eudora is the way to go.

I would disagree and change that to a qualified "if you want long term
usability with a POP account".  Eudora can be a PITA to get to play
with IMAP accounts... or so my experience has been.  Eudora does not
handle well (or at all) the SSL authentication that we require for our
IMAP account logins.  Nor is its mailbox "scheme" intuitive for IMAP
accounts.  It puts some mailboxes under Dominant (which you can't
rename to the user's name), but puts sent mail in the Out box that
appears by default, and ignores the Trash mailbox that is pre-generated
on the mail server because Eudora already has a mailbox by that name.
You can't delete or rename the default Eudora mailboxes, so users end
up looking in the wrong place for their mail.  It's way too confusing
for the average user.

We're abandoning Eudora and moving to Mail (Mac OS X clients) and
Thunderbird (Windows clients).  Much less clunky, plays well with our
servers, and much less expensive.

But, as I said, this is my experience.  I used to use Eudora, back
before I became a network administrator and had to deal with its little
idiosyncrasies.  ^_^  Now I prefer Mail or Thunderbird... and mutt.

gretchen