[X4U] Adjustment layers and layer effects converting from RGB to CMYK [TAN]

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Tue Oct 5 19:59:12 PDT 2004

Hi all,

We've been receiving more and more layered Photoshop files that were
constructed in RGB and contain adjustment layers (usually at the top) and
layer effects that when the designers convert the file from RGB to CMYK,
desiring to still keep the file in its layers for job adjustments, they
get discarded or react completely different in the new colour space. This
causes the image to become a complete disaster when comparing the old with
the new. The image usually goes completely washed out and lacklustred.

Doing a "Copy Merged" and pasting into a new CMYK file keeps the image
fidelity pretty accurate but they then lose the layers - again
undesirable.

I've tried looking at recreating the adjustment layers by saving the RGB
curves and loading them when in CMYK or entering the same Hue/Sat values
in new adjustment layers but they just don't translate the same way under
the different colour space.

I worked most of yesterday on an RGB image that had many adjustments made
to it but one of them was a noise layer on top that used the "overlay"
layer effect. It added a soft noise throughout the entire image but when
the file was converted to CMYK this layer made the image look considerably
greyed out. In the end I had to merge many layers together then use "Apply
Image" to the various layers. I also discovered that using "Apply Image"
at 100% created a much heavier noise on the affected layers and played
around until I found the right value to produce the same amount of noise -
between 70 and 75%. Note: the original RGB noise layer was set to 100% not
70%.

I'm hoping that someone out there found a more simple way to translate
such files from RGB to CMYK.

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Cheers,

Cojcolds