[X4U] External drives (another way?)

Michael J. Amato cantab at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 14:01:25 PDT 2004

I did find this on the Smartdisk Q&A page ----

=========================
Mike Amato

mailto:cantab at comcast.net

Since updating to OS 10.3.3 my drives are no longer accessible.

There have been reports about drives sometimes not being accessible once the
OS is updated to 10.3.3. This seems to be a problem when updating the OS on
line instead of downloading the updater and then running it.

If your drive no longer shows up since updating to OS 10.3.3 go to
http://www.apple.com and download the OS 10.3.3 Combo update. Reapply the
update using the Combo Update and the drive should be accessible.

Common advice:
    €     Before  updating, it is wise to Repair Permissions of existing OS
X system
    €     Do not  be tempted to remove Apple System files, or to relocate
any system files  or applications
    €     Do not  use the update received from System Update. Wait for the
Combo Update to  appear; then download and use this update
    €     To  minimize problems, unmount and disconnect external drives
before  performing the update
    €     For  good measure, shutdown and reboot before attempting the
update, to be sure  the system is clean
    €     Make  sure one has a good, readable backup of critical files
someplace safe

If this does not solve the problem, please go to Apple's Knowledgebase
Article 107914 for additional information regarding solving this.