[X4U] Installing OS X with little memory

Andrew J. Yon III ayon2 at sc.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 19:12:44 PDT 2004

On Oct 7, 2004, at 3:23 PM, Paul Hawkins wrote:

> I was trying to install Panther on a G4 (PCI Graphics), but after
> clicking the Restart button in the installer window, the computer
> restarts back to OS 9. Could this be because the G4 that I am
> installing to has only 64 megs of RAM??

Yes, it is most likely the cause. However, even though Apple says
Panther requires 128 MB RAM, it is possible to run it with less than
that. I have a G3 233 Tray load iMac with 96 MB RAM that is running
Panther just fine. Albeit slow and I do not do much more than iChat and
Safari on it, it does run it just fine. It is on Roadrunner cable and
the speed difference is hardly noticeable. A memory message did pop up
during the install and I chose to ignore it just for the
experimentation. It will soon have 256 MB of memory in it.  It does not
have enough memory to utilize the  DVD-CDRW combo drive in it
presently.

Andy3