[X4U] MS Office 2004 Feedback

Michael Burton mburton at columbus.rr.com
Sat Oct 16 15:07:07 PDT 2004

>I am thinking about ordering Microsoft Office 2004 and was interested in
>feedback from those who are using it. I remember some comments some time
>back that it was slow and had other problems.

I've held off ordering Office 2004 for two reasons:

I haven't been able to find the End-User License Agreement online.
Earlier versions of Office allowed me to install on a desktop machine
and a laptop, so long as I didn't use Office simultaneously on both
machines. I can't find out whether the new license still permits that.

Also, I've never been able to learn whether Microsoft has implemented
"product activation" on this version of Office, as they have with
Windows-based versions of their software. Product activation means
that the software I paid for will not run fully until it receives
permission from the vendor's servers. It sometimes means that the
vendor can modify or disable the software at will.

I like to run current versions of software, but product activation
got me off the upgrade treadmill for Macromedia products, and
apparently it will soon prevent me from staying current with Adobe
products, as well. I've been ready to upgrade to Office 2004, but I'm
perfectly willing to settle for the previous version of Office while
I look for better alternatives.

--
Michael Burton     mburton at columbus.rr.com     (614) 263-7948
Home Page (rarely updated) : http://home.columbus.rr.com/mburton/