[X4U] MS Office 2004 Feedback

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Oct 16 23:31:07 PDT 2004

Fabian Fang said:

>The considerably lower-priced, but identical, "Student and Teacher"
>Edition in fact allows concurrent installation on three computers.
>Folks who have any affiliation with an educational institution, as
>faculty, staff, or student, should certainly go for that.

Yes, the Student and Teacher (S&T) edition of Office is, relative to the
Business version, a fantastic bargain.

In fact, the licensing terms of the S&T edition are even looser than you
state.  They allow you to purchase and use this product if any member of
your family is a student, even a kindergarten student, or a home-schooled
student.  Essentially this is a home edition of Office.  And no one
checks that you meet the qualifications for the S&T version when you
purchase it.

However, a huge problem can crop up if you purchase the S&T version of
Office and use it at your place of business and the SPA/SIIA, or similar,
come to town.
http://www.siia.net/
(Which has been happening with increasing frequency in large cities
across the country.  Some of you may have heard their radio commercials
when they swoop into town, trying to attract informants.)  If only one
disgruntled employee reports your non-conforming use of the S&T version
of office in your business, the entire business will be subject to a very
high-handed, and legal, form of blackmail from the SPA.  Failure to pay
retribution will result in a search warrant and legal action.  Your
business can be devistated.

I'm not saying that it is likely to happen any of us.  But it is
something to consider.  (Similar tactics by Microsoft to crack down on
pirated software in schools has led to a huge number of schools moving to
open source software.)
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2004/09/29/05linux.h24.html

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html