[X4U] New 1.8Ghz G5 Tower in Apple Store

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 19 11:09:00 PDT 2004

> >Anyone else notice how the new 1.8Ghz Tower Apple just announced has
> >the front-side bus listed as running at 600Mhz rather than the 900Mhz
> >it should be running at?  Anyone know if this is a typo?
>
> I doubt it.  They mention it in several places on their Web site, and
> every one of the current G5's has a different front-side bus speed.  Have
> a look here:
>
> http://frontside.notlong.com

That's where I was looking.  The FSB should be at 1/2 the speed of the CPU,
on the new 1.8Ghz model it's 1/3 the speed.  If this is true, it means that
this new 1.8Ghz system will actaully run slower than the older single CPU
1.8Ghz systems!  Even the original 1.6Ghz single CPU's ran their FSB at
800Mhz, while this 1.8Ghz is listed as running at 600Mhz.

		Zane