[X4U] Re: Dell laser printer on a Mac?

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Wed Oct 20 08:32:08 PDT 2004

> From: Michael Cucka <brucknerdoc at snet.net>
> Date: 19 October 2004 12:00:44 EDT
>

> Hello -
>
> There's a great deal on a Dell laser printer (3100cn) thru the Dell SB
> website (around $360 shipped) and I'm wondering if it is possible to
> use it
> on a Mac running OS X.
>
> I understand that Dell's are Lexmark printers rebranded (got that from
> the
> Dell support site forum) and others have used Lexmark drivers to run
> earlier
> model Dell lasers - but I couldn't find any info about the 3100.
>
> Anyone know for sure before I take the plunge?

It's an Adobe Postcript printer, so you shouldn't need any drivers.
The most you would need is a PPD, which I would expect comes on the
install disk.  The Dell Site says OS X is supported.

Note the 3100 adds Postscript to the 3000 for $100.  The price you
quote makes me think you are looking at the 3000.  If you were really
trying to save money, you could get the 3000 and rely on
CUPS+GIMP-Print to drive it.  GIMP-Print uses ghostscript to render
postscript and knows how to speak PCL to "Windows" printers.  See
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_FAQ_OS_X.php3 for more info.  I
have used GIMP-Print very successfully to talk to any number of random
printers, but I have not used it specifically with a 3000.