[X4U] Cleaning Up Your iTunes 4.7 Library - Deleting Duplicates

revDAVE coolcat at hostalive.com
Thu Oct 28 08:48:23 PDT 2004

The new iTunes 4.7 has the ability to display duplicates songs.  But, be
careful! ... before you go  deleting all the duplicates -  please check them
out first! I¹m not exactly sure what Apple¹s criteria is for selecting
duplicates, however if you¹re not careful, you can easily delete music you
really might not want to.

So far, the best way I have found to delete duplicates is:

- Choose menu options > view options -  show the these extra fields  in
addition to your regular fields:  time - size - bit rate - sample rate

- Set your screen display preferences to see as much as possible

- I  dragged my fields to this basic order:  song named - time - size - bit
rate - sample rate - album - artist

- Use the select field to focus on something specific - like an artist or an
album or whatever...

- I have found that sorting on the Time field is very helpful.  At this
point you should see just one artist worth of songs - sorted together by
time - and you can easily compare if two songs with the same name also have
the same size - bit rate - sample rate etc.

- If everything is the same - before I actually delete a duplicates - I will
quickly play the first few seconds of both of the songs - to make sure that
they sound the same. On occasion you may realize that they are different
performances.

- Also be aware that sometimes you¹ll have duplicates - however they belong
to different album collections - and you may or may not want to delete them.

Happy Cleaning - RevDave

Any other cool ideas for deleting?

--
Thanks - RevDave