[X4U] Can an Airport Base station wear out?

Jeff Porten civitan at jeffporten.com
Sat Oct 30 12:19:29 PDT 2004

Well, it's starting to appear that the problem is that some of the
network activities I'm running at home trigger a deterioration in the
Internet connection -- packet loss starts going through the roof.
Still not sure why, but I'm less convinced than I was that the problem
is in the Airport -- I got similar results cutting the Airport out of
the chain and using another Mac as a software base station.

So the new open question is why some activities cause incremental
packet loss up to 100%.  The two I've found so far are BitTorrent
downloads (intermittently causes a problem), and originating a large
port scan against another network (shuts down the network within
minutes).  I'm stumped, and so are my ISP techs.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff