[X4U] wireless network

Donna Ellis•Mitchell Senft senft at worldnet.att.net
Wed Sep 15 00:48:54 PDT 2004

Once again, we're close to getting broadband at home and have a couple
of questions. It's going to be a cable modem. The main machine is an
aged G4/400. The second machine, which needs to be able to access the
web would be, preferably, an iBook G3/800 or one of the first
generation iMacs.

First, I'm still unclear what plugs into what: cable modem goes into
base station, and Mac connects to modem? Or base station? (The deal
with Cablevision includes free installation, but I'm sure they're
Macphobic so I'll have to know more than the installation person.)

After parsing Apple's support pages, I'm completely confused as to what
hardware I need. Can I use Airport Express? Can either the iBook or
iMac take a wireless card? If so, which card. It looks from the support
page that at least the iBook can only take the original Airport card.
Is that so?

Thanks,

	Mitchell