[X4U] Clipboard question

Al Simcoe alsimcoe at alsimcoe.com
Thu Sep 16 10:40:54 PDT 2004

On Sep 16, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> <smile>
> It seems that would work.
> The clipboard doesn't care what is copied to it.

The Clipboard may not care but Al SImcoe does.
Let me restate the mission here, I want to **FLUSH** (empty) the System
Clipboard.  :-)
I want the "System Clipboard" to be in a Vacuous state !!!!!

Now, that said............

All the repliers to my question but Bill White, seem to "Assume" or pre
determine why
I want to do this and craft their answers accordingly.. Don't do this.
You'll be wrong.
I am sure you all know how to spell the word "assume"
You will make an  "ass" out of "u" and "me".
The very first words out of my 1st year Engineering professor's mouth
so many years ago :-)

The Holy Grail here should be simple to understand. How do I "Flush"
(empty) the "System Clipboard".
No more, no less !

> If you want a "space" copied to it, do so. Like any other text
> character, it will copy over and replace what's already there.

Where did I say I want a space? I do not want a "Space" in the
clipboard. A "Space" is data just like an "A" or "D" or "&" characters.
The only difference is you can not see a "Space".
The "Space" character has an true "ascii" value!!!! I forget what it is
offhand.  I think it is  "%20".

> I just selected the "C" in the text below, did a command-c to "copy'
> it the clipboard, and after repositioning the cursor, did a command-v
> to "paste," it showed up at the cursor.
> That works with a space as well. Try it...

see above !

Thanks to all the list members who have tried to help so far.
The most entertaining one so far is the reply that would have me do a
"Royal Flush"! (see one of my previous replies)
The best solution (I think) is Bill White's simple AppleScript
solution. Thanks Bill (see Bill's reply)
It seems that Bill has learned NOT to "Over Engineer" a solution !!!

Any more ideas?  :-)

Al Simcoe