[X4U] Re: wireless network

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Fri Sep 17 03:13:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 04:58:56AM -0400, Donna Ellis?Mitchell Senft wrote:
:
: >The iBook G3 takes a standard Airport card. I'm not sure about
: >availability. The iMac, if it has an airport slot, will take a standard
: >one. Airport Extreme card work only in macs that specifically say they
: >take them.
:
: How do I find out whether our iMac has the slot?

Check your user manual.  It should say something like "AirPort Ready".
You can also check with online sites as well:

	http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index.html

: >>Does this "original" Airport card work with the Airport Express unit?
: >>If so, how well? Or do I have options?
: >
: >Yes. But only at the original airport speed (11 MB/s).
:
: 11 MB/s means what practically speaking? More importantly, as it's a
: means for additional access to the web through the cable modem, would
: the web access be slowed significantly? If so, how badly?

1) It's actually "11 Mbps" as in "11 megabits/sec".  "MB" almost
universally stands for megabytes.

2) Practically speaking, you will not notice a difference in speed
downloading web pages between AirPort and AirPort Extreme.  That's
because the slowest part of your network is the Internet connection
(i.e. your cable modem).  The benefit of AirPort Extreme over AirPort
is that the former supports faster connection speeds between computers
on your *local* wireless network.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/