[X4U] sheetfed scanners

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sat Sep 18 21:53:18 PDT 2004

I just purchased a Brother MFC-3200C multifunction machine from
Officemax 2 weeks ago, for $79 after rebate.  I see that the same
rebate is available tomorrow (sunday sept 19).

The printer has crappy reviews on Amazon.com; however, I bought it
purely as a sheetfed scanner, as I'm trying to archive a ton of
standard and legal-sized documents.  It is capable of doing just about
any scanning except, of course, for a book or something bulky and NOT
sheetfed.

The sheet feeder holds, officially, 20 sheets, but I have used it with
many more.  Depending on the type of paper, it DOES require some
babysitting to get it to work well, but overall I'm very pleased for
the money.

I'm mainly using it to scan at 200x200 dpi in black and white, since
I'm scanning documents, and can usually get 20 pages scanned in well
under a minute.  Higher resolution and grayscale and color, of course,
take longer, sometimes much longer.

It is also a stand-alone fax machine, and functions as a basic copier
and printer.  However, I've had it for two weeks, and haven't even
installed the ink.

It comes with a basic program called Presto! Pagemaker, however it is
somewhat unMaclike, but it IS OSX native as far as I can tell.

I'm using GraphicConverter to do the captures, and save the multipage
files as PDFs.

If you'd like any specific stats on the machine, let me know.

Michael