[X4U] sheetfed scanners

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sun Sep 19 20:31:27 PDT 2004

Jeff,

It works flawlessly for my use.  (We're talking the Brother MFC-3200c).
  The drivers that came in the box were useless, but a quick visit to
Brother's support site showed new drivers compatible with OSX 10.3.5.
They actively advertise their OSX compatibility on the box, which is
always a good sign.  (No "Mac compatible" afterthought sticker).

The scanner application that comes with the unit, Presto! Pagemaker (or
Pagemanager?) is adequate, but I only used it once, and then went to my
standby, GraphicConverter.  The interface is a TWAIN driver.  The
options include a pre-scan, which lets you adjust contrast and
brightness, but little else.  The scanner can go to 600x1200 dpi.  I
can't remember how many bits it scans at, but I believe in the 40s.

This model is an inkjet, but they have laser models as well.

Using GraphicConverter, the file is scanned as a multi-page document (I
don't know what the format is at that point...PICT?) and you then do a
Save As...  as one of the gazillion formats that GC can output to.  So
I choose PDF.  The Presto! Pagemanager software also does OCR.

How do you get Acrobat or another app to automatically OCR a file?  I
notice that using my flatbed Canon LIDE 30 and Canoscan Toolbox, that
the multi-page PDFs are already OCR text searchable in Preview when I
open the files.  Any idea how to get that functionality with a
3rd-party?

All in all, I've already gotten my money's worth from the unit, and I
haven't even cracked open the ink cartriges.  If you plan to use it as
a printer, i would be very cautious, after reading the tepid reviews of
the PRINTER on amazon.com

Any more questions let me know...

Michael