[X4U] OT: OS 9's USB extentions

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Mon Apr 4 11:57:48 PDT 2005

On Monday, April 04, 2005, at 01:49PM, Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com> wrote:

>Let me apologize first off for this non X post but I'm not sure who
>else to ask.
>
>I'm trying to get a USB card to work on my G3 Powerbook (WallStreet)
>under OS 9.1. According to the manufacturer's web site (card's at home,
>I don't remember their name) I have to make sure the USB support
>extensions are in installed in the System Folder. They provide a link
>to Apple's download page for USB Adapter Card Support. On the download
>page it states that the installer will place the following files in the
>extensions folder.
>
>	? 	USB Support
>	? 	USB Device Extension
>	? 	USB Software Locator (requires Mac OS 9)
>	? 	HID Library
>	? 	Serial ShimLib
>	? 	USB Mass Storage Support
>	? 	USB Mass Storage Extension
>
>But it also includes this warning.
>
>Important: Mac OS versions 9.1 and later include a later version of
>this software. Installing USB Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 over Mac OS
>9.1, 9.2 or later could result in the USB adapter card not working.
>
>I have OS 9.1 installed but from the above list I can only find HID
>Library and Serial ShimLib in my extensions folder. Are the other files
>missing or does OS 9.1 have them incorporated somehow within the OS and
>no longer require the extensions? I'm not sure if I should try the
>installer or not.

1) Copy your OS9 system folder to another location on your drive.

2) Install the drivers. If there is a conflict, move the copied system folder ontop of the conflicted folder.

3) That said, I doubt that there will be a conflict. I don't remember Apple installling USB drivers (in OS 9) on systems that did not have USB built-in.

4) Not only do you need the USB Adapter Card Support drivers, but you may also need the USB Mass storage drivers, also available at Apple's download site.

Good luck,
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com