[X4U] Serious OS X Security Vulnerability

DZ-Jay dz at caribe.net
Thu Apr 7 12:00:11 PDT 2005

Hello:
	I would further add that I would like to hear Apple's position on this
issue, and not just a transient comment like "Apple does not feel this
is an issue".

	Consider this.  A few months ago, someone announced a security bug in
every IDN-enabled web browser (Opera, Mozilla, FireFox, among others),
and claimed that of all developers contacted, Opera Software brushed it
off as "its not our problem", while the Mozilla Foundation was quickly
working on a fix.  As it turned out, the IDN "issue" was known by the
designers of the International Domain Name system, and in fact, was part
of its implementation; and the Mozilla Foundation was ridiculed for its
over-eagerness in implementing a "fix" in haste that actually crippled
the IDN implementation of the browser.  When Opera's position was
publicized, it turned out that they had explained, correctly, that the
"issue" was part of the IDN design, and that their implementation
followed it as intended; and that the Opera browser, being used in other
countries other than the USA (many with non-roman characters), worked
properly and no "fix" was needed.

	I mention this as an example of how security issues can be over-stated,
and how developer's reactions can be miscommunicated and downplayed.

	dZ.