[X4U] ATA hard drives

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 7 13:27:46 PDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 12:21 AM, John Baltutis wrote:

> Internal ATA drives are limited to 128 GB. For larger drives,
> you'll need a
> 133 MHz card to extend that capacity or revert to FW.

I think you meant 133 MBs, which refers to the theoretical maximal
data transter rate of the card.  The official spec. that a controller
needs to support to have 48 bit LBA is ATA 6. It just so happens that
any card which does 133 MBs is almost certainly an ATA 6 card. (BTW,
Ultra *, IDE, and EIDE are marketing terms invented by individual
firms which have been generally adopted by the computing industry.
ATA is the official ANSI spec.)

Phil