[X4U] ATA hard drives

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Apr 7 14:20:45 PDT 2005

Philip J Robar said:

>I think you meant 133 MBs, which refers to the theoretical maximal
>data transter rate of the card.  The official spec. that a controller
>needs to support to have 48 bit LBA is ATA 6. It just so happens that
>any card which does 133 MBs is almost certainly an ATA 6 card. (BTW,
>Ultra *, IDE, and EIDE are marketing terms invented by individual
>firms which have been generally adopted by the computing industry.
>ATA is the official ANSI spec.)

That's true.  To my knowledge all ATA/133 cards support 48-bit LBA.

Sonnet's Tempo UATA/100 supports 48-bit LBA.

SIIG has a Mac compatible ATA/133 card available for $74.18 with free
shipping from Buy.com if you want to upgrade to be able to access your
drive's extra capacity.
<http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10325653&loc=>
(This is the best deal on a Mac-compatible UATA/133 card that I've seen.)

The SIIG card supports 48-bit LBA:
http://www.siig.com/products/ide/features/UltraATA133_100Pro.html

Sonnet Tempo for $77 from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?submit=Go&DEPA=0&CMP=OTC-Froo