[X4U] slow performance

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 7 14:39:30 PDT 2005

	My Mac has started slowing down recently whenever I run a particular
program.

	This is a language program that says it requires 64 MB of RAM to run.
It runs off of a CD in the disk drive.  I also have been using a USB
headset at the same time.

	The program runs slowly and will pause, the disk drive stops and
starts.  The program has crashed a few times.  If I unplug the headset,
the performance improves.  So obviously the program and the headset
together tax resources too much.

	This surprises me, however.  I'm running OS X 10.3.8 on a Aluminum
Powerbook with a gig of RAM.  It seems like there should be enough
resources to run both the program and the headset.  Activity Monitor
says a bit over half of RAM is free.  Activity Monitor also says that
the language program is taking 89 percent of the CPU.

	Are my expectations excessive or does something need attention?

										Peter