[X4U] Re: Un-erase?

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Fri Apr 8 06:52:50 PDT 2005

Timothy Luoma <lists at tntluoma.com> wrote:

>On Apr 7, 2005, at 11:11 PM, PoolMouse wrote:
>
>>  don (who migrated all his clients to bru)
>
>You moved all your clients to the Brussels airport ;-?

i would if i could (at least with some clients). :)

>If you're asking for my recommendation for a backup program, that's
>fine, and I'm happy to give it.  But as you were trying to offer
>helpful advice as to what they might do differently in the future, I am
>also suggesting that next time you might want to take a few seconds and
>give them something that might be constructive.

what can be more important than reminding a computer user that
backups are crucial? it's about best practices. the choice of tools
depends so much on the environment, users, network/hardware/apps,
that it wouldn't be appropriate to toss a loose suggestion at the
original poster.

if the poster comes back with "so what do you suggest" (which is
usually the case), then they'll get a reply. otherwise, posting
suggestions upon suggestions based on googled info isn't really
helpful to the original poster either (although one or two people
obviously spend a lot of time googling for answers to posts and
advertising their osx books). ;)

>Since you didn't even give an URL for the program you suggested, I
>assume you meant http://www.tolisgroup.com (where I was able to
>determine that the program is a commercial one, but was not able to
>find something like, say, a price-list).

who suggested bru to the original poster? i recommend it to my
clients based on known abilities, environments, variables, etc.

>Since you asked, I'd suggest rsyncx which is free and open source.  It
>has a GUI and command-line version.
>
>You can find out more about it here
>	http://archive.macosxlabs.org/rsyncx/rsyncx.html
>
>and download it from here
>	http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16814
>

>TjL

...just be aware rsyncx overwrites some of osx's built in unix tools.
i wouldn't suggest going there if you don't want breakage and/or
incompatibility issues later.

don