[X4U] OSX VPN vs. Cisco VPN

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 09:40:58 PDT 2005

On Tuesday, April 12, 2005, at 11:04AM, Kansas Territory <kansast at mac.com> wrote:

>Anyone have any new information on Tiger's VPN client software ?
>I know 10.3x  had a VPN client, but I was unable to use this. I had to
>use Cisco's VPN client because Apple's version did not offer:
>IPSec over UDP ( NAT / PAT )

It's not specifically mentioned on the Tiger features list <http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/newfeatures.html> so it's hard to say.

Additionally, from Macintouch.com on April 6th:

[Peter Sichel, Sustainable Softworks] I wanted offer a heads up on a comment you made about Tiger application compatibility. From my perspective, this does not paint a complete picture. Specifically, Mac OS X Tiger has changed the API for developing Network Kernel Extensions (NKEs), such that previous NKEs will not load on Tiger without being re-written to use the new stable KPIs (Kernel Programming Interfaces). Although the number of applications dependent on NKEs is small, the changes will require significant work from a small number of developers. Applications that involve low level networking like 3rd party VPN clients, network firewalls, or IP gateways could be affected.

So, if it Tiger's VPN client does not work for you, you will probably also have to wait for Cisco to update theirs...
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com