[X4U] Tiger Apr 29th

James S Jones jsjones at mac.com
Wed Apr 13 10:49:43 PDT 2005

It's hard to say if you need the new features--time will tell. In my
mind, the new or improved technologies are worth the price. The new
Core Image framework is supposed to significantly improve graphics
processing. The H.264 codec is a big step forward. And, letting the OS
take advantage of 64-bit processors is essential. I do a lot of file
searching, so I look forward to Spotlight. It's a long way from
Sherlock 2 if for no other reason than it being available to
applications, not just the Finder.

 From a user's point of view, Dashboard widgets probably aren't that
much different from 3rd party Desk Accessories in System 6 and prior,
but the underlying technology has more in common with AppleScript. As I
understand it, widgets are mostly interfaces that call on existing
system frameworks, functions, commands, etc.