[X4U] email problem

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 13 14:10:18 PDT 2005

On 12 Apr2005, at 11:42 AM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> I've been on my old i-Mac for so long but now it's
> giving me headaches. So I'm switching to a powerbook
> with OS X. Problem is it will send emails but won't
> let me receive. It says my password is incorrect, but
> I know my comcast password. I believe I have the in
> and outgoing settings correct but I can't figure out
> what's wrong. I'm sure it's simple. Can anyone suggest
> a solution ?

	I don't have Comcast, but my experience with ISPs has been that error
messages often blame the wrong problem.

	Does Comcast require authentication?   That one is easy to miss and
has messed me up a couple of times.

	My ISP has a habit of changing the mailserver names and other data.
Every time I set up on a new machine or with a new piece of software,
it does not work and I find the ISP changed some setting.  The old one
grandfathered in, but the new one wouldn't work.

										Peter