[X4U] Tiger & 64-Bit Applications...

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu Apr 14 10:02:07 PDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 9:18 AM, revDAVE wrote:

> Tiger looks cool...
>
> http://www.apple.com/
>
> I was wondering exactly how much of the TIGER system is actually
> running at
> 64-bits ...

AFAIK, all of it that needs to -which means not much.

I'm really struggling with the best way to explain this, but for most
things 64 bit won't be done because its not necessary. For example, I
don't know of any text encodings that require 64 bits. So there's no
advantage to doubling (or more) the size of text files just to make
them "64 bit". Same is true for the overwhelming majority of data a
computer shuffles around. The same is true for the instructions. In
fact using 64 bit values where 32 or fewer would do can slow things
down (more bits to move around, fewer values fitting into L1/2/3
cache...).

IMO 64 bit only does two things. 1) Increases the amount of memory that
can be addressed and 2) makes it easier (and faster) to handle data
that does require more than 32 bits. Tiger does all that when
necessary.

> And what applications, if any, are running at 64-bits NOW ...
> Not sometime in the future.. Does anyone know?

I don't know, but not many will see any functional (or speed) advantage
to being 64 bit. I'm guessing the only apps in the near term that will
"go 64 bit" are the ones that need to access huge amounts of data
(databases, scientific computing, maybe video...) or extensively use
very large (or very small) numbers (scientific computing). i could be
wrong, but I don't see an application like SimpleText ever needing to
be 64 bit (and you'll never need more than 640 k/M/GB of memory).

So be wary of upgrades whose main new feature is "Now 64 bit
everything".

-Mike