[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sat Apr 16 02:19:15 PDT 2005

DZ-Jay <dz at caribe.net> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2005, at 14:08, James S Jones wrote:
>
> > Thurrot's piece discusses only 'features' and concludes they aren't
> > that big an advance. Tiger's big advances are in the basics, like
> > optimizing for the IBM PPC 970 series and beyond, Core Image, and
> > other optimizations to various foundation classes that improve
> > performance. Core Image should prove to be a big deal for Apple's key
> > video and graphics customers and opens the door for Macs to be a much
> > more competitive platform for games and other consumer entertainment
> > purposes.
>
> I agree.  However, there's one thing that struck a chord with me.  If
> what he says is true of the haphazard and inconsistent interface
> changes, then that is a negative point on Apple.  The Aqua environment
> is, in my opinion, beautiful, and part of the appeal is the consistency
> among application windows.  But if Apple keeps changing the rules, or
> worse, mix-n-matching different design decisions within different
> applications, then that sort of violates the integrity of the "look and
> feel".
[snip]

One area I agree on with Thurrot (and many others) is I hate essentially
being forced to use the Dock as my application launcher,or at the very
least have it occupy the bottom of my screen or pop up when ever I muse
to the bottom :-(

I wish the Dock were an optional program. It's a pretty useless launcher
because it easily gets overfull and far too tiny on small screens (try
using it on original 15" iMacs or 12" iBooks) and folders all look alike
(gah! WTF were they thinking?).

I _do_ use it for my most commonly run programs (it might as well serve
_some_ use to me since, like siamese twins - there's no pretty method of
separation I'm aware of), but never for document or folders. If I had
the choice I'd use a program I could bring to the foreground at a
keystroke, or the good old Apple Menu (I'm still not sure what Apple
thought was so bad about it - sure, it was an old idea, but old doesn't
always mean outdated or bad).

One unfortunate downside of OSX has been the removal of choice in UI
customisation. Apple needs to do better. Fine - provide a newbie
friendly way of working, but allow intermediate and power users some
options as well.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet