[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Apr 16 13:50:12 PDT 2005

Jamie Kahn Genet said:

>Which would you recommend, Randy?

I like the Dock, so I've never had a reason to try killing it.  I once
started on an article to tell folks how to turn OS X into a clone of OS
9, but I never finished it, and I didn't get around to doing much
experimentation.

>Will killing the dock (and is there a
>way to do so automatically every reboot with these applications?)

The developers of some of these utilities say that they do this.

>cause
>any instability when an application might expect it to be there?

>Sorry to be so nervous - it just seems as if Apple's wound the Dock
>fairly tightly into the system. How safe is doing this?

I wouldn't expect so, (after all, several of these utilities have been
around for a while, and I would expect their developers to note any
problems users have had) but, on the other hand, as you say, the Dock is
integral to OS X; screwing with it my not be the best idea.

Maybe someone brave will try this and report back.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html