[X4U] Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9 - !!! Important Note:

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Apr 16 13:58:05 PDT 2005

revDAVE said:

>- - - - -
>From: Apple - Downloads - Apple - Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9
>Location:
>http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosxcombinedupdate1039.html
>- - - - -
>
>!!! Important Note:
> Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the
>Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.0.2 that can result in
>the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Even with the improvements
>available in this update, Apple recommends you update the firmware on your
>FireWire drive. Please contact your drive manufacturer for more information.

I believe that this isn't a new problem introduced with the 10.3.9
update, but rather a reinteration of the problem that OS X 10.3 has had
with FireWire hard drives since its introduction.

This note serves to 1) tell you that this update does not solve the
FireWire data loss problem absent a firmware update from the manufacturer
of your hard drive, and 2) cover Apple's hiney.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html