[X4U] Let's start the FUD presses.

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 16 21:02:14 PDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 3:44 am, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Stroller said:
>
>> I REALLY want them to introduce a
>> NextStep- / BeOS-alike launcher cum application menu (top right in
>> <http://beos.pixay.com/pics/beos_01.png>)...
>

> It isn't exactly the same thing, but have you seen:
>
> Yellow Button
> http://www.yellowbutton.com

Yellow Button looks like a nice tool, but I don't really need it. I
can't really explain why I don't use stuff like this; although in the
past I played with my UI lots, I've never really done so - no haxies at
all! - since having a Mac. It mostly just works.

I bought my Mac so I could just get stuff done on it, so I'm never
going hack-around and delete the Dock completely - I'll leave that to
when Apple get around to it! Since I'm keeping the Dock, Yellow Button
would be redundant.

I have my Dock at the top of the screen & have done the same as another
of this evening's posters - added a shortcut to Applications into the
Dock so that I can get a hierarchical menu of all the apps on the
system by right-clicking it. I now find it quite difficult to use other
peoples' Macs if they don't have this. I make my Dock less cluttered by
selecting only a few key apps to "keep in Dock", and by quitting apps
as soon as I've finished using them.

It is now only quite occasionally that the Dock bugs me - the Menu bar
bugs me FAR worse, as does the obscurity of keyboard shortcuts - and
really mentioning any of them is pissy of me. I'm spoilt these days,
and should be glad not to have to tolerate the "Linux Desktop" or the
habits of Windows-programmers (installing an icon on the desktop,
another in the system tray, in the Quicklaunch bar and in the Start
menu, as well as the folder in All Programs is just a little excessive,
yet they ALL do this?!?!?)

Stroller.