[X4U] Re: X4U Always starts up in OS 9 & Dock at top

Deborah Puerini lovesalsa at cox.net
Sun Apr 17 20:30:54 PDT 2005

> Sounds like your OSX system may not be functioning so the Mac is
> defaulting to the next available OS at startup.
>
> Do you get the Mac with a question mark for a few seconds at startup?
>
> Is OSX/OS9 on the same volume?
>
> Have you tried diagnostic tools over the drive's directory, like
> DiskWarrior or Apple's DiskUtility. Have you tried repairing
> permissions?
>
> Is your OSX system clearly selected when you go into the OS9 "Startup
> Disk" Control Panel?
>
> Coj
>

> Howdy there X4Uers
>
> Every time I shut down then start up again, I get booted into OS 9,
> even when I go to startup disk and specify my OS X volume.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this one? Hoping it's something real simple!
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Deb in Rhode Island
> --

Hi Brett

Yep I was getting a folder with the little face blinking on and off.
Yep OS X and 9 are on the same volume. I did repair permissions and all
that other stuff and everything seems OK now. I don't shut down that
much anyway, just wondered about it when I did. Thank you for your
help.

I found a way to put the dock at the top from Mac OS X Hints for Jaguar
(chapter 3) by Rob Griffiths, edited by David Pogue, I did a google
search "OS X dock at top" and got the whole chapter! You use terminal:

1. Open Terminal.

This program is in your Applications→Utilities folder.

2. At the % prompt, type this: defaults write com.apple.Dock
orientation top (and
then press Enter).

See page 5 for an explanation. In this case, you’ve just issued the
magic command
that puts the Dock at the top of the screen.

3. Quit Terminal. Then, to make your change take effect, quit the Dock.

One way is simply to log out and then log in again. If you don’t have
that kind of
patience, open Process Viewer (a program in your Applications→Utilities
folder).

Now sort the list by name (click the Name column) so you can easily
find Dock.
Highlight Dock, and then choose Processes→Quit Process. The Dock quits
and
restarts—and the Dock is now at the top of your screen.

If you ever tire of the
effect, you can always move the Dock back to a standard location by
Controlclicking
its divider bar in choosing, for example, “Position at Right” from the
contextual menu.

Note: If you prefer keeping the Dock hidden, move the mouse just to the
bottom of the menu bar to
make it slide back into view—not the very top of the screen

I did it and it works great. It's kind of hard to get sometimes (it's a
small space right under the top menus), but I was always having the
hidden dock pop up when it was at the bottom at the most inopportune
times!

Deb in Rhode Island
========
Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth
of a true democratic spirit.
                                              ~ Mahatma Ghandi