[X4U] Always starts up in OS 9

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 06:52:57 PDT 2005

On Apr 15, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Deborah Puerini wrote:

> Every time I shut down then start up again, I get booted into OS 9,
> even when I go to startup disk and specify my OS X volume.

I'm coming in late here, so hopefully the other suggestions have fixed
the problem. If not, how old is your computer and has the PRAM battery
ever been changed?

If the battery is dead, the computer won't be able to maintain settings
and will continuously revert to starting from the "first" OS it finds,
which is often OS 9 if its on the internal drive. If that's the case,
resetting the PRAM won't help because its always being reset anyway.

Just another thought -are OS 9 and X on the same drive? If not and the
drive with OS X takes a little too long to get powered and spun up it
may not be ready when the computer first looks for it (often happens
with external drives).

-Mike