[X4U] Default application association problem.

Preston Kutzner grdnwsl at mrichi.com
Tue Apr 19 12:33:44 PDT 2005

Hello List,

I've recently run into an interesting problem and I'm curious as to
whether or not anyone else has run across it, and if so, what was done
to correct the issue.

Here's the (compound) problem.  I have two separate clients with
Powerbooks with Panther 10.3.8 installed on them, along with Adobe
Acrobat Reader 6.0.  These clients are also using Thunderbird 1.0.2 for
their email client software.  Now, the first issue is that Acrobat
Reader 6.0 won't print any pdf, period.  Acrobat Reader 7 prints just
fine, as does Preview.

The next part of this problem is that Thunderbird, for some reason, has
Acrobat Reader 6.0 set as the default application for opening pdf files.
I had assumed it was using the system default for that file type, so I
went in and changed the default application to be Preview.  This works
through finder and any other application that gets it's program
association information from the OS.  However, even after changing the
global default, Thunderbird still attempts to open any pdf's attached to
an email with Reader 6.0.  I have even tried installing 7.0 on these
systems, but it won't let go of the 6.0 association.

My first question is, is there any other place I should be looking to
change program association information within OS X?  I changed the
association by control-clicking a pdf file, then picking the "Open
With..." menu option, and making sure the box was checked to tell OS X
to always use the application I was choosing.

My second question is, if there is not another place to change program
association information, does anyone know how to *fully* uninstall
Acrobat Reader 6.0?  I tried looking for an uninstaller app, a la
Microsoft Office Uninstaller, but I couldn't find one.

I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction even
on where I might find the information I'm looking for.  Thanks in
advance.

--
Preston