[X4U] DVD regions code

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Tue Apr 19 14:27:12 PDT 2005

> On Apr 19, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Vince Lewis wrote:
[cut]
> I think it would still be easier if we could just get rid of that
> region nonsense though.

Those region codes were put there so that the average user couldn't order
DVDs from overseas and play them on a standard DVD player. There are many
reasons for this. The only two I've heard that make sense is so that the
movie companies can charge different prices for the same DVD in different
parts of the world and so you can't order a DVD from overseas and watch a
movie that isn't even out in the theater in your area (this is especially
true of American movies in Europe). Basically, region codes are there so
the movie industry can make us all pay more.

So, good luck getting rid of the region codes.

BTW if you think region codes suck, you really need to read about the new
HD-DVD proposed encoding. Not only will there be region codes, there will
also be DVD player codes. So, if you got the wrong DVD player you aren't
going to be able to play a DVD just because they decided you need a
different DVD player.

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org